I am an Associate Professor of Entrepreneurship at the Department of Business -Economics and Business Studies (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona -UAB-) and currently a Visiting Scholar at the Haas School of Business (University of California BerkeIey). I received a Ph.D. (European Doctoral Programme in Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management, UAB and Växjö University - Sweden), a M.Sc. in Social and Cultural Anthropology (UAB) and a B.A. in Economics (UAB). I am particularly interested in the analysis of factors affecting entrepreneurship in different contexts, using the institutional approach as a theoretical framework, and combining quantitative and qualitative methodologies. I have published several studies in international academic journals (including Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, International Small Business Journal, Journal of Technology Transfer, Research Policy, Small Business Economics, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, etc.) and I am participating in Spanish and international research projects (GEM, PSED, GUESSS). I am teaching entrepreneurship courses at undergraduate (Department of Business -Economics and Business Studies-), master (Master in Applied Research in Economics and Business -MAREB-) and doctoral level (International Doctorate in Entrepreneurship and Management -IDEM-) at the UAB and at other international universities. I am working as a consultant in entrepreneurship and SMEs in many projects of the Catalan and Spanish government, European Union, OCDE and the private sector. Also, I am co-founder and director of Centre for University Entrepreneurship -CIEU- (UAB Emprèn).
KEYWORDS: Entrepreneurship, entrepreneurial activity, small business, SMEs, institutional economics (Emprenedoria, activitat emprenedora, creació d'empreses, PIMEs, teoria econòmica institutional; Emprendimiento, actividad emprendedora, creación de empresas, PYMEs, teoría económica institutional).
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS:
- Turro, A., Alvarez, C. & Urbano, D. (2016): Intrapreneurship in the Spanish context: A regional analysis. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, 28 (5-6): 380-402.
- Guerrero, M., Urbano, D. & Fayolle, A. (2016): Entrepreneurial activity and regional competitiveness: evidence from European entrepreneurial universities Journal of Technology Transfer, 41(1): 105-131.
- Aparicio, S., Urbano, D. & Audretsch, D. (2016): Institutional factors, opportunity entrepreneurship and economic growth: Panel data evidence Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 102, 45-61.
- Guerrero, M., Cunningham, J. & Urbano, D. (2015): Economic impact of entrepreneurial universities’ activities: An exploratory study of the United Kingdom Research Policy, 44: 748-764.
- Urbano, D. & Alvarez, C. (2014): Institutional dimensions and entrepreneurial activity: An international study Small Business Economics, 42(4): 703-716.
- Professional Development Workshops (PDW): “Entrepreneurship and institutions in the context of Latin America" and "Emergence of meaningful organizations: Panel Study of Entrepreneurial Dynamics (PSED) program update" (76th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management - 2016, Anaheim - California).
- Imagine Silicon Valley 2016.
- "Gender, entrepreneurship and social mobility in developing countries: An institutional approach" (Competitive paper) (ICSB 2016 World Conference, New York - New Jersey).
- The entrepreneurship future agenda in Latin America (Plenary session) (9th Iberoamerican Academy of Management Conference - 2015, Santiago de Chile).
- "Global Entrepreneurship Monitor. CAPV. Informe Ejecutivo 2015", Deusto (In Spanish).
- "El emprendimiento corporativo en España" (Global Entrepreneurship Monitor. Informe GEM España 2015) (In Spanish)
- Evolución de la investigación en Economía y Dirección de la Empresa en España. 25 Años de Historia de ACEDE (In Spanish)
- El Confidencial (6/2015). Emprendedores (In Spanish).
- Workshop on "Evaluation of SMEs support programs in Catalonia". IVÀLUA (In Catalan).
- UABDivulga (10/2015). "Economic impact of entrepreneurial universities' activities" (In English) (In Catalan) (In Spanish).
- Case HEINNOVATE (European Commission and OECD): "UAB: measuring the impact, business/external relationships for knowledge exchange, and internationalization"
- Special issue of Small Business Economics "Entrepreneurial Universities: emerging models in the new social and economic landscape" (Online First)
“If some things don't make you lose your sense of reason, then you have none to lose” GOTTHOLD EPHRAIM LESSING
"Probably you are only really grown up, when you can bear not being understood” MARIAN - ALPHAVILLE